A travel cot is a bed for use by a baby or young child
A travel cot is a bed for use by a baby or young child that collapses or folds into a bag for easy carriage. Travel costs are typically much lighter than a standard cot, with soft sides to provide comfort to the baby when sleeping. The United Kingdom Department of Health’s guide Reducing the Risk Of Cot Death states that babies should always sleep by themselves, and are much safer in their own cot.
The research said that it is preferable that each new baby has his or her own new mattress to avoid the risk of the infection spreading between children which have been a contributing factor in some cases of SIDS. In addition to the health benefits, a travel cot can also provide benefits to the child. Regular use of a travel cot means that a baby will become used to a sleeping environment outside of the usual cot which means that they are more likely to go to sleep quicker when they are traveling and sleep for longer and more soundly when they have gone to sleep. Bassinet or pop-up travel cot, the travel cot can eliminate the need to buy a separate Moses basket for the baby. Such a travel cot can be used in the first few months of a baby’s life either in any part of the house so that parents can closely monitor their newborn baby and can place their baby in the cot without straining to the bottom of the back – which can cause harm to a new mothers recovering body.
Though your at-home sleep setup for your babies arranged perfectly, maybe things don’t go according to plan every single evening. Or maybe your sweet little one is still getting the majority of her sleeping in a bassinet or even a baby swing. Happily, she feels comfortable enough there to get her nightly sleep and daily naps. But what will you suppose to do when that first overnight trip comes up? Whether you’re traveling across the country for a few days, or simply taking a drive to a nearby town for an overnight trip, you want to make sure that baby has somewhere safe, warm and comfortable to sleep. Here comes the baby travel cot. And as a caring parent, you also want to make sure that the travel cot is easy to assemble and lightweight, and that it fits into your budget.
Luckily, there are tons of great travel cots (or travel cribs) on the market that are designed to fit slimly into your car or slide in with your luggage for plane travel, that is also safe and cozy for your precious little sleeper. Check out for your convenient:
- Super-Lightweight: Summer Infant Travel Bed
The Summer Infant Travel Bed is designed as an easy portable travel cot that folds up into a shoulder bag for convenient travel by car, plane, train, etc. Its weight is just 2.4 pounds and claimed as one of the lightest of the bunch. It’s also the most affordable option on the list. When folded out into a travel cot that can be used for babies weighing up to 15 pounds. It possesses a premium mattress pad for baby’s comfort alongside its removable and washable sheet. Can also be used as a portable changing table and it consists of a fun toy bar with two toys to entertain baby during diaper changing.
This is a bare-bones travel cot, so it is not very sturdy and it’s on the small side. In an addition, there is no platform for lifting the cot up off the floor. It would most likely be safe to use as a cosleeper in bed with the ultimate caregiver, as it has sides that go up to prevent baby from rolling out.
- Easy to fold with a detachable carry strap for travel
- Consists of a premium mattress pad for baby’s comfort with a removable, washable sheet
- Includes fun toy bar with two toys to entertain baby during a diaper change
- Affordable in price
- Includes on the small side
- No platform for lifting up off the floor
- Marks out when the child is 15 pounds
- Not very brawny
- Most Magnificent Travel Cot for Easy Setup: Chicco Lullago Travel Crib (Chestnut)
The Chicco Lullago Travel Crib is a travel cot or portable crib that is designed to be convenient and easy to travel with. It weighs 17 pounds. It includes a custom-fit mattress with a brushed mattress pad, and it has mesh sides that create a comfortable and safe sleeping environment for your baby. It can be set up quickly—the top is one piece, and it has four legs that snap on quickly and easily. This travel cot also includes a handy and attractive storage bag for travel. The basement of the legs come equipped with anti-slip feet to keep the travel crib from slipping. This product ships fast with Prime shipping, and available in three colors al will be in the same price range.
The mattress included is in between a standard size bassinet and a standard size crib mattress, so there are not many options for fitted sheets or mattress covers to purchase. It is designed to hold a child weighing up to 20 pounds which means it won’t last into toddlerhood. The height of the legs is not adjustable.
- Can be set up quickly with snap-on legs
- For easy washing, Fabric parts can be removed
- Comes with carrying bag for storage and travel
- Consists of a brushed mattress pad and mesh sides for a comfortable and safe sleeping environment
- Not suitable enough for toddlers
- Comparatively expensive to other brands
- An offered mattress is not available in standard size
- Unadjustable height
- Topmost Bang-for-Your Buck Travel Cot: Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard
The Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard weighs in at just 11.5 pounds which is comparatively lower than some other popular playpen/travel crib models. Furthermore, it includes a pocket to store diapers and wipes. The fabric on the changer is machine washable, making it easy and convenient to clean. This product is easy to assemble and fold up for storage or travel. It’s actually a sleeper, changing the station and plays yard all in one. As it offers the top bassinet and the bottom play yard, it can actually grow with your child a bit if you are using it solely as a sleeper or travel cot. A bit expensive, but is still in the mid-range of price points for travel cribs. Some consumers do not like that the bottom of the playpen sits on the ground and that the mattress for the playpen is thin and flimsy. Additionally, the low-to-the-ground playpen area means it can be difficult for parents to bend over and place a sleeping child in it.
Price: $82.21 (31 percent off MSRP)
- Includes carrying case for travel or storage
- Comes with inclined sleeper/bassinet and changer
- Half the weight of other playpens
- The fabric is machine washable
- More expensive as compared with other brands
- Bottom of playpen sits on the ground
- Very thin mattress for a playpen
- If using bottom portion as a bed, it can be difficult to lay baby down as it is so close to the ground
- Best Flag ShipTravel Cot: Phil & Teds Portable Traveller Crib (Silver)
The Portable Traveller Crib from Phil & Teds is a super lightweight yet stalwart travel cot that folds up compactly into a carrying bag. The manufacturer made the design of this model in 2015 to make it easier to assemble and disassemble. This travel cot is globally safety certified with full mesh sides that are slightly raised so baby can enjoy their peaceful sleeping and you can maintain a clear view of your child at all times. This product includes a therm-rest mattress with a 100% cotton sheet. It features a strong, sturdy support bar, as well as a side zipper so the sleeper can double as an open playpen when the baby is awake. Its designed for use of infants to children of three years.
The major drawback is the price and you know over $200 it is not cheap, but many consumers believe it is worth it for the design and safety of this cot. Some consumers don’t like that the mattress must be inflated whenever you use it—it adds an extra step that some find a bit annoying.
Price: from $240
- Outstanding lightweight and small when folded up for travel
- Internationally safety certified design with full mesh sides that are slightly raised for a peaceful sleep and for a clear view of your child
- built-in carry bag, therm-rest mattress, and 100% cotton sheet
- Designed with a strong, sturdy support bar and a side zipper to use as an open playpen
- A bit uneconomic & expensive
- Several consumers report that this crib is somewhat difficult to get back into the bag once disassembled
- Mattress must be inflated upon use
- A few consumers do not like that it is slightly raised in the middle once assembled
- A Topnotch Combo of Travel Cot & Diaper Bag: Prime Baby Bags Multifunctional Portable Carry Cot
The Prime Baby Bags Multifunctional Portable Carry Cot is a combination travel cot, changing mat and diaper bag, perfect for the professionally busy moms on the go! It folds up into a super stylish bag that you can host anywhere. It can be easily folded out and folded back up into a diaper bag. It’s very lightweight and portable at 3.8 pounds. You can stockpile your most needed baby and mom accessories in the eight large zippered storage pockets.
However, this product will not hold as much as a typical diaper bag because it has the built-in a travel cot. Several consumers have noted that this product stains easily, so it is recommended to purchase one of the darker colors, which will hide stains better. Additionally, Some consumers report that the sides are somewhat flimsy and that babies tend to grow out of the travel cot at around six months.
Price: $58.99 (46 percent off MSRP)
- Multifunctional travel cot, changing mat and diaper bag
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Consists of eight large zippered storage pockets
- Fit to fold or unfold easily
- For smaller babies only
- Sides are somewhat flimsy
- Doesn’t hold as much as a standard diaper bag
- Stains easily
- Finest Travel Cot + Playpen Combo: Graco Pack N’ Play Playard Nimble Nook (Pierce):
The Graco Pack N’ Play Playard Nimble Nook is a combination of travel cot and portable playpen that’s smaller than the standard size Pack N’ Play in order to make it easier to transport. The bassinet is designed for babies under 15 pounds—once your baby outgrows the bassinet, she can sleep or play in the playpen area on the bottom until she reaches 35 inches tall (or is able to climb out). It still weighs in heavier than many travel costs, at 19.8 pounds. This product comes with a removable full-size bassinet that makes the perfect sleeping spot for baby to sleep at home or away. This product is designed to be 20% lighter than other Pack N’ Plays, and it includes the signature Graco push-button fold that makes packing it up for travel a breeze. It has a durable, muscular frame moreover. This product comes equipped with soothing vibration for the bassinet.
A number of consumers have reported disappointment that the vibration doesn’t work on the bottom sleep/play area. As this travel crib is smaller than the standard size Graco, it can occasionally be difficult to find sheets to fit the mattress that goes on the bottom. This Graco Pack N’ Play Travel Playard Sheet fits the Nimble Nook but is way more expensive than the standard Graco sheets.
Price: $69.99 (30 percent off MSRP)
- Its portable, full-size bassinet provides the perfect spot for baby’s peaceful sleep at home or away
- Trademark Graco push-button fold makes packing it up a breeze
- Includes durable frame
- Twice as a playpen
- Much heavier than comparable travel cots
- Only on the top level of travel cot/playpen vibration works
- A bit smaller than the standard size Graco Pack ‘N Play
- Slightly difficult to find sheets that fit the mattress due to its unusual size
- Most Well-built Cosleeper Travel Cot: BRICA Fold N’ Go Travel Bassinet
The BRICA Fold N’ Go Travel Bassinet is an inexpensive and ultra lightweight (just 2.4 pounds!) travel cot is immaculate for when you need a safe place for your little one to sleep on the go. This product comes with a four-point Safe-T-Lock System to keep the bassinet in place while it is set up. It folds up very nice and thin. It also functions nicely as a cosleeper if you want your infant close to you but is worried about the risks of co-sleeping It’s also designed with mesh panels and breathable fabric to keep baby safe and comfy all night long. It is ideal for babies 15 pounds and under and not over three months, so there is a fairly small window where this product would be useful. Several consumers note that the mattress is thin and difficult to get completely flat after it has been folded up. Some consumers also note that the travel cot as a whole feels somewhat flimsy.
Price: $29.99 (24 percent off MSRP)
- Economical product
- Most lightweight at 2.4 pounds comparatively
- Designed with mesh panels, breathable fabric, and a locking frame to provide comfort and peace of mind for the kids
- Four-point Safe-T-Lock System for safety and security
- Included mattress is thin and difficult to get completely flat after get folded
- Only made for smaller babies—maxes out at around 15 pounds or three months
- Some consumers note that the product feels fragile
- Once baby can roll the travel cot is no longer useful
- Peerless Travel Cot for Outdoor: KidCo P4012 PeaPod Plus Infant Travel Bed (Midnight)
The KidCo P4012 PeaPod Plus Infant Travel Bed is a travel pod designed for out of the house performance. The sleeper is surrounded by lightweight mesh to promote airflow and protect against insects. It’s perfect lightweight at three and a half pounds and comes with a convenient carrying bag. The travel cot folds up compactly for travel and storage. Its built-in UV protection and anchor straps make it the ideal candidate for a camping trip with baby. This one is completely in the mid-range of prices, though it isn’t very substantial as compared to other comparably priced travel cots.
If take a look at the back draws it does not have a sturdy frame, meaning a larger, more mobile baby or toddler could potentially roll it over. Some consumers have used this travel cot for this babies under 12 months, the label does say that there is a suffocation risk for babies under 12 months of age. Some consumers have reported that this cot is somewhat tricky to fold up after use.
- UV protection and anchor straps for outdoor use
- Ultimate lightweight at 3.5 pounds
- Folds up compactly for travel and storage
- Sleeper is surrounded by lightweight mesh to promote airflow and protect against insects
- Much expensive as compared to other super lightweight travel cots
- No sturdy frame which doesn’t allow larger baby potentially to roll it over
- A little tricky to refold after use
- Not suitable to use for babies under 12 months
- Super Soft Outdoor Travel Cot: KidsTime Baby Travel Bed (Blue)
The KidsTime Baby Travel Bed is a comparatively cheaper and lightweight option (just 2.2 pounds) that comes in two colors, pink and blue. This product is made from breathable mesh and cotton, which keeps air circulating and baby dry, and is a safe option for sleep. This product works well for outdoor use as it includes a mosquito net to keep your baby protected from those insects. The mattress included is soft and plush, though some consumers have noted they wish the mattress were a bit more substantial.
Several consumers note that the seams are single-stitched and prone to coming lose, as well as that the instructions are in Chinese. Although the product is recommended for babies from zero to 18 months, some consumers have noted that larger babies could easily roll this travel cot over.
- less expensive
- fantastic for outdoor use, including protection from mosquitoes
- Consists of soft, padded mattress
- Specially made from breathable mesh and cotton, which keeps the air flowing and baby dry
- The much larger baby could roll the travel cot over
- Several consumers wish bottom/mattress was thicker
- No English instructions
- Seams are single-stitched and can come undone fairly easily
- Most extravagant & Stylish Travel Cot: Lotus Travel Crib & Portable Baby Playard
The Lotus Travel Crib and Portable Baby Playard is a highly portable and lightweight travel cot, weighing in at just 11 pounds. The side even has a fun door that zips and unzips so baby can crawl in and out while supervised. The Lotus comes with a soft mattress, making it a safe and comfy place for baby to nap, and it also doubles as a playpen either at home or on the go. This travel cot is so easy to set up—it takes just 15 seconds! The breakdown is somewhat more difficult but sees the video below for instructions. The Lotus folds up into a backpack, which you can transport easily on all your family adventures. The sides of the playpen are made from soft, see-through mesh so you can watch the baby play or sleep. Some consumers do not like that the mattress rests directly on the ground. Additionally, you will need to buy the Guava Family quilted sheets, because the mattress is not a standard size. This playpen is more expensive than average, at $198.
Price: $198 (21 percent off MSRP)
- Allows set up in just 15 seconds
- Includes a fun side door that unzips
- Soft mesh sides that you can see the baby through and are safe for sleep
- Folds up into a backpack for easy transport
- Much Expensive
- Includes mattress sits on the floor
- Breaking down is somewhat more complicated than setup
- Must buy sheets from Guava family because the mattress is not a standard size